Roof System: Hot Built Up Modified Bitumen Roof System
Area: 109,000 sq. ft.
Project Scope of Work:
- Conduct a thorough roof analysis of the existing roof system with the owner’s representative to determine the condition of the existing roof system and an appropriate course of action that meets with the client’s needs.
- Remove existing roof system to the existing steel deck.
- Installed new mechanically attached thermal insulation and cover board. Installed two plies of asphalt coated reinforced glass membrane all adhered in hot asphalt adhesive.
- Installed modified bitumen cap sheet covered in a white highly reflective solvent based coating.
- Installed two plies of base flashing covered in a high performance modified bitumen mineral surfaced cap sheet in hot asphalt.
- Repair and reseal the existing skylights.
- The existing EPDM membrane had exceeded its service life and was delaminating at seams and there were condensation issues at the skylights.
- The roof analysis determined that only a few areas of insulation were wet and needed to be replaced. To reduce project costs the existing insulation package was upgraded to current standards which generated an $180,000 cost savings.
- A more robust modified bitumen roof system was selected due to foot traffic. A high performance white roof coating was also specified. The increased cost of the new membrane was offset by a $45,000 rebate from the local power company. This gave a long term cost saving by increasing the R-value of the insulation and for installing the highly reflective white roof coating.
- This was a win-win project for the customer and the local power company. The customer has reduced annual utility costs and the power company reduced demand on the electrical grid.