Roof System: Restoration of Existing Modified Bitumen Roof Membrane
Area: 320,000 sq. ft.
Project Scope of Work:
- Conducted a thorough roof analysis of the existing modified roof systems with the owner’s representative to determine the condition of the existing roof systems and an appropriate course of action that meets with the client’s needs.
- The majority of the existing roof was in good condition, an infrared scan was done to determine the wet insulation areas. The damaged roof system was removed to the existing deck and any damage was repaired.
- In repaired areas installed new insulation to match existing. Installed 1 ply of a 3.5 mil polyester reinforced APP modified membrane as a base with a 4 mil APP modified mineral membrane as a cap sheet all heat applied.
- Installed 2 coats of a high performance moisture cured polyurethane white roof coating over the entire project roof area.
- Installed new factory formed coping system over existing precast parapet walls due to the ongoing repairs to the precast sealant joints between the panels.
- The funding for this project was provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The act requires a reflective, Energy Star Rated Roof Coating. The reflective white roof coating will lower the energy demands and therefore the cost to operate the facility.
- Due to the building height a heat welded roof system was picked to minimize odors and noise associated with roofing projects and to eliminate the need for a kettle containing hot bitumen being located at the ground level.